Tuesday 26 August 2014

MRI Mark 2

On my first appointment with my MS neurologist in May, he said he was going to organise another MRI for me, so we can see how the progression of my MS - to see whether new lesions had developed and if the original lesions has grown or decreased in size.

In July I received a letter giving me the date of the MRI. I was a wee bit scared when the letter came through as it was many pages long and outlined that I needed an MRI of my head and  of my spine done twice - one normal one and one with contrast dye. 

The contrast dye helps to show enhances the MRI and makes it easier to read and spot things - basically contrasting the two MRI's - the one with the dye to the one without the dye and see how things differ. 

Last Friday (22nd August) I went for my MRI. I tell you, I was less emotional going to this one than I was going to the one on 13th January, and its because in January I had no idea what was wrong with but now I know that it is MS so was not worried about having it. MRI's can be relaxing if you can just cut out the bang bang noise of the machine.

My appointment was at 11am and I arrived at 10.45 and could not find the place (different hospital than the one in January) but found it after going through many corridors. Was taken in at 11.10 and changed into my gown and then had to wait til 11.25 before was taken into the room with the big machine. 

I lay down on the machine, had my ear plugs in my ears and rests against my head so it would be more comfy... and there was a wee mirror so I can see what was going on in the 'engine' room. I was so tired I nearly fell asleep but the bang banging stopped me. I was not allowed to move and at one point I was so focused on trying to keep my body from going into random spasms as it does, that I forgot to breathe!!

The first part lasted about 35 minutes, different scans taking place for different periods of time. Then they came into put the dye into my arm and change me from one bed to another bed so that my spine could be scanned. Then was put back into the machine but this time the wee mirror was not available  - not sure why- so could not see anymore, this was when I did start to feel claustrophobic but was ok. Another 20 minutes later and everything had finished and I was free to go.

MRI's are a painless thing, which is good as will probably have more over the course of my life as they watch the progression of the lesions on my wee brain! The only annoying thing is the bang bang noises but I after having three MRI's am getting used to it and even made wee tunes out of the noises in my head and at one point it sounded as if the machine was saying Oh Dear, Oh Dear!!


No comments:

Post a Comment