Thursday 7 August 2014

The call for drugs!!

In a few posts back I talked about discussing my MS drugs with the consultant and how I was going to chose being Avonex and Rebif. A couple of weeks ago I was speaking to the MS nurse and I decided to go with Avonex

The reasons behind this are mainly because I just have to inject once a week, so its only once a week I feel rough and  injecting into the skin can leave skin rashes.

With Avonex you inject into the muscle which in turn as its own problems as well including bruising and the ability to hit a blood vessel when injecting. And the side effects of this are flu like symptoms which could last anywhere between 24 and 48 hours. People have advised me to take Ibuprofen before I inject and during the flu like symptoms time as well.

Last Friday (1st August) I got the letter through the post telling me to I was getting my drugs and it would be on the 8th August. I felt like I had won the lottery and am not sure why, I was really excited because I was getting drugs which would help my MS  -would help control the symptoms and hopefully lessen the relapses I have.

I went to visit someone last weekend to is also taking Avonex, she showed me all her equipment including the needles and the massive cool bag you have to keep them in when travelling - takes up half the hand luggage apparently.. so no more travelling on easy-jet with just hand luggage! or else travelling with injections and no clothes!!

She advised me to stock up on plasters (for when I hit the blood vessels) and ibuprofen so went and got them the other day. She advised to inject on the leg and not the arm and make sure the leg is raised when injecting to stop the bruising.. oh how much fun I have to look forward to.

I began to get nervous about it all near the beginning of the week. People in work have offered to inject me when I annoy them - lovely people!

It was good to get insight into the life of injecting myself - so here goes, am all prepared for what the drugs may bring - the side affects, the pain and hopefully the betterment of my life and the controlling of symptoms and relapses.



No comments:

Post a Comment