Tuesday 12 August 2014

#100 Happy Days

Over the past few months I was noticing a few of my friends putting things on Facebook and twitter using the hashtag #100happydays and was wondering what it was all about so I decided to take a wee look. I googled it and found the 100 happy days website and found out that it is a viral trend which aims to make people feel happier and more fulfilled by asking them to record a cheerful moment each day by posting a picture of what has been you happy that day. 

The thought behind it is that taking notice of what makes you happy and documenting it on-line can help put you in a better mood every day, become more optimistic and realise how lucky you are to have the life you have. 

I decided to take up this challenge 27 days ago because I thought it would help me focus on the positives of life. I have had a rough few months with MS etc and have low moods and my friend keeps telling me to focus on one day at a time and look to the positive things in life - so I thought that doing the 100 happy days challenge would help me as I would be looking for positives. 

The first few days of this challenge I found it exciting looking for something to post on facebook which made me happy - this ranged from jaffa cake ice cream, joker ice lollies, cuddles with Oscar the dog etc - but as the days have gone on am finding it hard to find things of which I can take pictures of and put on Facebook e.g happy thoughts, special times with friends and family which would not be right to publicise on Facebook 
due to people not liking social media etc and because they are between us.

Like other people have said when doing this, the small happinesses are too personal. Doing this has helped change my mindset though - helped me focus on the happy moments more than the negative ones. For example, on Friday what made me happy was getting my MS drugs, because it meant I was on course for getting less relapses, but couldn't really upload this on facebook could I? 

So what has had me happy the past 27 days (what I have posted - other things have made me happy) - here is a list:

Day 1 - cuddles with Oscar the dog (a friend's little cheeky dog - so cute)
Day 2 - a strawberry sundae (which I had in a cafe on a little outing with my Nana)
Day 3 - joker ice lolly - (brought back memories of my childhood as I ate them then)
Day 4 - Jaffa cake ice cream (love jaffa cakes)
Day 5 - a picture of my dad when he was 21 (it was his 71st Birthday)
Day 6 - a pink flower (bright colours make me smile)
Day 7 - Slemish mountain (on my drive home for work)
Day 8 - Alejandro and me (memories of Peru)
Day 9 - lovely day out with my friend Rachel in Carnfunnock Park
Day 10 - BBQ times with family
Day 11 - Portballintrae in evening sun
Day 12 - picture of Dexter - lovely dog who lives close by in Portballintrae
Day 13 - thankful for family and friends
Day 14  - commonwealth games picture - loved watching the swimming
Day 15 - a pic of a cat massaging a cat - I have a massage but could not really put a picture of that!!
Day 16 - pic of my friend Miranda and me - she was on my mind that night
Day 17 - lunch with friends in Scoffwells - no pic as a pic was not appropriate 

See what I mean - sometimes pictures just are not appropriate. 

Day 18 - Northern Ireland winning medals at Commonwealth Games 
Day 19 - picture of Portballintrae again
Day 20 - picture of the night sky in Ballymena   -was amazing
Day 21 - picture of a London bus - still cannot get used to seeing them drive around Ballymena roads - and it always makes me smile
Day 22 - The Great British Bake Off started again, yeah!
Day 23 - coffee with friend - tagged the friend instead of putting photo as felt was better
Day 24 - Homeland Season 2 
Day 25 - a lovely scone I had in a coffee shop - was a big scone
Day 26 - had great Skype chat with a friend Emma - again better to tag the person
Day 27 - DVD box-set again of Lie to Me

Today is Day 28 and today I think my happy moment (well one of them anyway) is my blog, because it helps me process my thoughts and has brought me interesting contacts and comments from people. Thanks for reading.

I am unsure whether I will continue the challenge using social media, but will be continuing it in real life - sometimes may post things, but it will depend on the day and the happy moment, because sometimes it is best to keep happy things to yourself. 







No comments:

Post a Comment