Wednesday 2 July 2014

And I am out...

Tuesday 24th December - Christmas Eve - and I am still in hospital, wondering if I would get out to have Christmas home or would I be celebrating Christmas in hospital. All bases were covered anyway and I picked my menu for Christmas Dinner.

I was still waiting for my MRI and thought was getting it at 9am when someone told me they were coming to get me for the scan, but after an hour of waiting, I was told that was a mistake and they wanted to take me for a CT which I already had and I wouldn't be getting my MRI that day.

I was very tired, and feeling rotten that day and broke down into tears, real gasping for breath tears because I was upset, worried about what was wrong with me, and annoyed at not getting what was promised me. The nurse had to come and calm me down and told me not to cry as it would make the banging headache I had, bang even more!

The doctor came to visit me and he was very sympathetic and said he would do all he could in regards to the MRI. He still didn't know what was wrong with me or wasn't willing to tell me would probably be the correct answer.

About half an hour after the doctor visited me, he came back saying that I would not get my MRI before Christmas, and the earliest I could get it would be 13th January - so I had three choices:

1) stay in hospital over Christmas with the hope of getting an MRI sooner, which could not be guaranteed
2) go home for Christmas and wait for MRI in January
3) Go Private

I rang my parents in tears, but the doctor ended up having to talk to them as I was a mess.  During all this my friends arrived to see me  - and could not find me as I had been moved that night - but when they found me, I was still in tears so they had to calm me down. Then they spoke to the doctor to find out what was going on as I was not making much sense. He promised again that the MRI would take place on 13th January and he has booked it for me.

Dad meanwhile at home was sourcing private MRI but due to Christmas, the earliest I could get was 10th January, so we decided we would wait until 13th with the NHS.  And I was to get out that day for Christmas yeah!

To calm me down and cheer me up, my friends took me to the hospital cafe and they had to take me in a wheelchair as I could barely walk or see - it was quite cool being pushed around in a wheelchair. On the way to get coffee we bumped into my neurologist who asked me had I got my MRI and I said no it will be on 13th January, so he looked at his diary and booked me in for the 14th January. Brilliant news, would not have to wait so long for a diagnosis.

After coffee time they took me back to my bed, left me and after horrible cornbeef salad for lunch I slept. However during my sleep I was awakened by a nurse telling me I was going home now and she was moving me to the discharge unit - so I had to quickly pack and she took me round, again on a wheelchair. I sat in discharge for ages waiting for my letter and drugs so I could go home.

Finally at about 3.30pm my parents were there and I went home and to celebrate my getting out, I had a burger - after all that hospital food it tasted so good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment