Tuesday 24 March 2015

Flash Fiction: Burying Fusco

Can you dig any faster?
I am trying but the ground is tough
But we need to be quick
Yes but we also need to be quiet, so hush yourself
Sorry I forgot we can’t let little Jen hear us
She’ll be devastated when she wakes up in the morning and discovers Fusco has gone
I know but we could not let her see him in this state or she would know what I have done to him
It was unavoidable Jake, he ran in front of the car so quickly. It was either hit him or you would have crashed the car and the impact would have killed you. Who do you think Jen would miss the most Fusco or her dad?
I would like to hope she would miss me more than Fusco but you know how much she is devoted to him
Keep digging in case she wakes up
I am doing my best Susan, my utmost best but I am still in shock too, the dog belonged to us all and he was mine before we married and Jen came along
I know, I know. Please don’t blame yourself for what happened, I certainly don’t.
Thank You.
Ok do you think this hole is deep enough yet?
Yes, let’s lift Fusco in now, gently as he is very heavy, and let’s do it quietly, don’t put him in with a thud as it could wake Jen up. Ok, on my count, one, two, three, lift.
Boy he is heavy, what did we feed him?
He ate his own dinner plus whatever Jen would give him when she thought we weren’t looking!
Ok, he is in now, let’s put the soil back in, again quietly.
Before we do, let’s take a moment to remember Fusco and all his antics.
Good idea
Ok, minutes up now, let’s fill the hole in
Ok, quickly I am freezing.
Right, that’s it finished. We need to make it look like nothing happened here.
Good idea, I know how curious Jen can be and all the digging she likes to do.
The ground looks normal now, all even. Let’s get inside and get some sleep. It will be hard tomorrow when we need to tell Jen that Fusco has gone.  She won’t believe us when we say he’s run away
I know but what else do we tell her, we can’t tell her the truth

It’s going to be hard, I agree, we have no other choice, because like you say we can’t tell her the truth, it would kill her. 

No comments:

Post a Comment