Wednesday 18 February 2015

MS: Finding the Energy within

MS in not all about doom and gloom, it can lead to positive change  - maybe not from the disease itself but from your reaction to the diagnosis.

A year ago I was diagnosed with MS and it hit me hard, my life became MS but now in 2015 I have decided to try to have a more positive outlook. There may be a few days of drizzle and despair but everyone has days like this, MS or no MS.

I have decided to reflect on what's important to me and how I can uncover my MS energy and my desire to be positive in diagnosis.

So what's important?  Family and friends - yes that is true. And I need to work on those relationships and cultivate them.  But before that I need to be more content with me and my life - so my relationship with God is key - working on that and all things will fall into place.

But that's relationships, what about what I have to offer. Yes, in relationships I can offer friendship and company but what about other areas?

In work, I am struggling because in this economic climate it is hard to get a permanent job- not enough jobs and too many people looking for work. However, saying that, since   February 2014 God has kept me in work - three different jobs in the Northern Health and Social Care Trust and for the last few weeks in Home-Start Ballymena. And even thought none of them are permanent, it is still money and  a place for me to go and work.

Yet, is there anything else I can offer or do which does not involve watching TV. Do a lot of that as there are loads of good box sets and I read a lot, but what about using my hands or my brain? I am not very good at crafts but I have always had a passion for writing. So now i have decided to try and unlock my potential as a great writer - so will see what happens - watch this space.

I have started following many people on twitter and getting tips on writing and prompts which will help me and encourage me to write. I have decided that I need to write for 15 minutes each day - whether it is interesting or not I do not know, but its practice and helps unleash the imagination and writing ability.

MS energy is not about having the energy to run around or do marathons, its about finding your own focus - whether its big or small. It can be a long process and a struggle to find with peaks and troughs along the way. Is the cup half full or is it half empty?

Its about taking back control on your life and not letting MS dictate how you live. Ok, yes some days MS will say you need to rest and take time, especially those days when the brain and body refuse to work.  Its about achieving, dreaming, confidence and pro activity,

The diagnosis of MS sucks, but its not the end of the world. It may take some things away from me, but it has shown me more of what's important. Though it has taken me on a rough ride at times - sow process but am getting there.

And the fun of writing has given me a buzz and a bit of energy. So maybe finding the MS energy inside does work.




NB: MS Energy was started by charity Shift.MS - to read more click here

No comments:

Post a Comment