Wednesday 25 February 2015

TV Review: Broadchurch - the final episode

As I wrote about the penultimate episode of Broadchurch I thought I would write about the final episode of Season 2.

What I thought would happen actually happened, Joe Millar was found not guilty. So now the question is did he kill Danny or not? I know he confessed at the end of Season 1 but beginning of this Season he pleaded not guilty. The Jury believe he was innocent, but that is because his lawyers were very convincing and good at their job and got him off.

Will Season 3, which has now been confirmed, keep the Danny Latimer story going, or will there be a new one? In this episode Joe Millar was banished from Broadchurch by the residents including his wife and children - they believe he was guilty. And being banaished by all your friends and family - is that worse than serving jail time? For me it would be worse.

At least the murders of Pippa Gillespie and Lisa Newbery were solved. Lee and Clare Ashworth were charged with the murder of Pippa and Pippa's dad Ricky was charged with the murder of Lisa - cold blooded murder.  All confessed to it.

I was confused whether Pippa died due to what was in the flask or was she smothered by Lee? I think probably the latter. But why? Because she knew too much about what had happened - Lee having sex with Lisa and the way she died.

For me, it was very frustrating TV but still gripped me as well.  The cast largely annoyed me and I really did not warm to anyone of them except Alec (played by David Tennant) - there was a vulnerability about him.  I was glad that he got his unsolved murder eventually solved and put to bed so he can now rest.  Has he left Broadchurch or will he be back for Season 3?

Olivia Coleman is a great actress but her character in this, Ellie Millar annoyed me at times as she was a bit wet/mousy, but other times I liked her when she forthright  and bossy.

All in all I would give Broadchurch Season 2 a 7 out of 10. Cannot compare it to Season 1 as never watched it. Let's see what Season 3 brings.

No comments:

Post a Comment