Tuesday 28 July 2015

Life: Living Life

When I was diagnosed with MS people told me to keep living – to live life. Unfortunately I let the illness over crowd me and could not see past it.  It was a bit thing for me and took me a while to cross over to the other side and learn to live with MS and not let MS control me.

I now feel I have got there and am more content with life and am starting to live life – albeit one day at a time but that is all anyone can do really.  But I am living. MS is still there and sometimes rears its ugly head and takes over, but 90% of the time I am in control.

I am going things that I never could have done a year ago, or even six months ago. I went to Rathlin Island, (a wee island just off Northern Ireland – another island!) and walked a good way round it.  I was proud at the end of the day, tired but proud of having achieved it.


I went to a Ceilidh and danced the night away – was a fun night. I was only going to go for an hour but stayed til it finished as was having a good time.  Next day I was sore and tired but proud of myself.

I also went to Dublin for a day and after getting up early for the bus, I spent the day walking around the big City and then got home late at night. It was a long day but a good day. I did it. I was tired the next day but proud.

And a couple of weeks ago I went Paddle boarding which was very fun.  We learnt to kneel on the board and paddle while kneeling. Then it was time to stand up and paddle.  This required good balance – something I struggle with – and I feel in the water six times.  More than any of the other three did. But I didn’t mind. It was all part of the fun.  I did manage to stand up and stay on the board for a considerable amount of time standing up and paddle my way around Portballintrae harbour.  I had achieved something new.  Next day I was tired and sore, but proud.



Yes, I still struggle with tiredness and pain but I am learning to live and that is all anyone can do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment