Tuesday 7 July 2015

Flash Fiction: The Man with the Sunglasses

Write a scene about a character who wears sunglasses all the time

“Do you know what maddens me?”
“What?”
“People who wear sunglasses all the time, especially when they are indoors.  Come on, what’s all that about, what’s the point? Is it a vanity thing, an arrogance thing or just being a total plonker thing?”
“Why are you asking me, what would I know about it?”
“Because in case you haven’t noticed, you are one of those annoying people who never takes their sunglasses off. The world wants to see your eyes, are you embarrassed by them?”
“But you know I only wear them because I have sensitive eyes – they can’t cope with all the flashing bright lights which follow me everywhere”
“Oh you poor soul, poor sensitive soul”
“Hey, stop being so horrible, you are meant to be my friend”
“I am your friend, which is why I am saying what I am saying. I am telling you the truth, but all wrapped in friendly love”
“But you don’t need to hurt my feelings. Why you never mentioned this before?”
“I have and you don’t listen. And I thought the fact that your sunglasses were always getting stolen or broken would give you the hint to stop wearing them”
“Is that you always doing that, don’t you know how expensive replacing those glasses is, you know how much each individual pair costs?”
“A lot of money but you have it so it doesn't matter!”
“What you done with the stolen sunglasses?”
“Sold them on ebay – made a lot of money from them, everyone seems to want a piece of you”
“I want the money then”
“No, you can’t have it.”
“Why not? They were my sunglasses, so the money is rightfully mine”
“Why you need the money, you are rich”
“To buy more sunglasses of course!”
“Well you can’t have the money, I have given it all to charity”
“Charity? Why?”

“Is that a problem for you? I thought you were all about charity? That’s what you are always going on about anyway, give the money to those who need it.  So I am doing what you keep telling us to do!”

No comments:

Post a Comment