Tuesday 16 June 2015

Flash Fiction: The Plastic Bottle

Writing Challenge - Consider the life of a plastic bottle and write some aspect of it


It’s a hard old life, you know. I spend most of it sitting on a shelf watching people go by, wondering it will be my time soon.  One day just mixes into another, one person after another.  I wonder what’s wrong with me, do they not like me? Maybe my type just doesn't agree with them.  I have no idea.

But then one day someone come, they look at me.  And I am like yeah, it’s my time. I am going to leave the shelf once and for all.  I get picked up, yes, I am finally off the shelf, but still keep wondering if I will be put back on again or not.

I don’t get put back down, instead I get carried to the counter and money passes between my saviour and the cashier.  Then it’s out into the fresh air and sunshine that we go.  Freedom at last.  But, oh what’s happening to me now?  I am being shaken, then my top gets taken off – ah I am exposed.

Now I am being tilted and all that is inside me is being taken away from me.  I am empty.  I have lost my purpose.  What will happen to me now?   Is this the end for me? 

My top goes back on, I am not exposed anymore. But I am still empty.  Suddenly I feel myself flying through the air and I land with a big thump into a big circular tub.  Is this what humans call a bin?  Is this what the end feels like?


Suppose that’s the life of a plastic bottle for you!!

No comments:

Post a Comment