Thursday 26 June 2014

Its just a Migraine!!

On Thursday 20th December, I woke up still the same - dizzy, blurred and double vision, balance bad, headache, numbness, pain behind eye etc - I felt I was getting worse. I rang my own doctor explained what happened and he prescribed migraine pills. I took them and slept off and on all day.

Friday 21st December, I woke up the same with the same symptoms and head still banging despite the migraine pills. I rang my doctor again  - got another doctor who prescribed anti dizziness pills and told me if I got worse to go back to doctor. So here I am on more pills. By this stage I was take Citalopram, Bethathistine and Naproxen. I was taken off the migraine tablets that day.

Saturday 21st December, I woke up the same with the same symptoms. Though told myself I was getting better, but my lunch time I thought I cannot go on like this - it is definitely not a migraine. I rang the on call doctor who told me to go straight to Antrim Hospital and demand a CT scan. So off Mum and I went.

I got to casualty and after we are initially seen by the triage nurse, we had to wait three hours before we taken into be seen by the doc. We were finally taken to the beds and various nurses came took bloods, ECG etc - I think they thought I was still drunk - and they were insisting it was a migraine. A doctor came and I said I want a CT she said it is a migraine I didn't need one. Again I had to do balance tests and once I got off the bed to walk the doctor told me to sit down as I was clearly not able to walk.

Mum and I were clear in what we wanted, a CT and the doctor came to see our way of thinking and said I would get a CT as she did not think it was a migraine I had. Finally someone listened to me.

I got more tests, x rays etc  - then after about 2 hours I was told I would need to stay overnight in hospital so was transferred to in between ward. Mum went home to get Dad and also to get me some PJ's etc. I was fed - hospital food is not great. 

Another doctor saw me and did more balance tests and told me it was a migraine and I did not need a CT and I would be discharged the next day. I was emotional at this stage and when Mum and Dad came back I told them this. We wanted a CT. 

I was transferred up to ward B1 were we went through the whole story again, answered questions and had more tests. Again I think they thought I was just drunk! Seriously!! And again they said I did not need a CT but the doctor would assess me in the morning.

Visiting time was over and parents went home and I tried to sleep - in a hospital this is difficult - please nurses be kinder to the patients.

No comments:

Post a Comment