Thursday 26 June 2014

A nightmare night!!

My last post saw me leaving work on Wednesday 19th December not knowing it would be my last day in the office, because that night my life began to change.

On Wednesday night my aunt did some physio on me as my arm was so sore and then I drove over to my friends house. Whilst at my friends house I went upstairs to her study to do something on her computer whilst she was downstairs watching TV with her husband. During my time on the computer my eyes started to go weird and when I tried to stand up I ended up lying on the study floor. I shouted for my friend but she did not hear me so I clumsily made my way down the stairs to her living room.

She was sitting in the living room with no lights on and when they said hi, I said 'I can't see' to which the reply was, 'turn the light on' and I said 'no I literally cannot see'. They brought me over to the see tee to sit down, made me toast and tea to see if that would help, but it didn't. The plan was for one of them to drive my car home but I said if I go home Mum and Dad will want to call the on call doctors so we decided to call them there and then.

That was a scary phone call. Whilst describing my symptoms to the doctor (blurred vision, balance bad, left hand side completely numb, left hand side of my face was dropping, bad headache, pain behind the back of my eyes, dizzy and feeling sick) she decided it was a stroke. I panicked at this because I was only 31 and my friend was saying no, its not a stroke, but she was thinking brain tumour but of course never said anything.

Mum and Dad were called to come get me and take me to the on call doctor. When they arrived I was distressed and they were distressed. Dad took my car and Mum and I went together. She has never driven as fast as she did that night! The on call doctor sent me to Antrim Area Hospital, so at 11.30ish we arrived at A&E. 

After seeing the triage nurse, she sent me straight through to the beds to wait and see the doctor. Bloods were done etc and we sat and waited, and we waited and we waited and at 4am the doctor came to see us. She made me do tests such as walk straight, put my finger to my nose etc... I could barely stand so these were hard for me to do. I think everyone thought I was just drunk - as if I would turn up drunk with my parents in tow! She told me it was a migraine and it would go away in a few days. I was hooked up to some drip and was told that would take an hour to go into my system. Mum and Dad went home and left me for a bit as it was late and Dad needed his bed. #

After an hour of the drip -  I was no better but the doctor decided I was ok to go home and reassured me it was a migraine and would go away in a few days. So I left hospital at 7am when mum came to get me.... still dizzy, balance not great, pain behind eyes, headache and blurred vision - I could not walk without support of my mum.  They just let me go home in that state. So off I went home to bed. 




No comments:

Post a Comment