Wednesday 14 December 2016

Literature: The Joy of Books


I must admit I stole the following post from John Grisham about the benefits of reading.  

So according to John Grisham, someone who has written more books than I have had hot dinners!! and who always gives us a good read, what are the benefits of reading?

  • Well he says they are and I tend to agree:
  • increased knowledge
  • expanded horizons
  • improved vocabulary
  • sharpened thinking
  • and enhanced empathy
Mr Grisham goes on to say that books are great to give as gifts, and I also agree. He says that the ten most fundamental reasons people should give books for birthdays, Christmas or just because is that:

  • Books are easier to wrap than footballs or fruit baskets
  • Books don't break
  • Once someone has finished with a book, it is not empty, in fact it is still full
  • No batteries are needed
  • You don't have to put a book together, its already been done for you
  • Books don't make noises that would alarm pets
  • You don't need to iron, wash or maintain a book in anyway 
  • Books are non-perishable
  • There is a book for everyone - they come in all sizes, colours etc
  • Books will never be lost
  • Books will never be forgotten
  • And giving a book gives someone boundless access to other words and other lives both real and imagined.

I have bought books for three people this Christmas: my dad, my mum and my uncle - all three people are very different and all books chosen are very different and will appeal to those they have been bought for. I love receiving books and also like getting book tokens so can choose which book to read.

I have been bought many a book or voucher over the years as people know that books and reading are what make me tick. I read anything - children's, teen, Christian, fiction, non-fiction etc And I have read many of John Grisham's book as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment