Friday 30 December 2016

Book Review: I Used to Know That: Stuff you Forgot from School: Caroline Taggart

After reading Caroline Taggart’s book on Grammar I decided to read more of her work as her writing is very interesting, informative as well as educational.

I Used to Know that covers topics taught in school - English, Maths, History, Geography, General Studies and Science.

I learnt a lot from reading this book especially as it covered information that was never taught in my school or else I don’t remember being taught!! The latter being more likely!  For example some of the Maths stuff was new to me, but then Maths was never my strong point and even on reading this chapter I still struggled with all the division, trigonometry etc. etc.

The Science chapter was excellent and probably the section I loved the best as I know we didn’t cover much of that subject in school – our teacher wasn’t very good. This section was split into three: Biology, Chemistry and Physics. I recommend this book if it’s only for the scientific stuff.

This book is a light hearted but also informative. Reading this book can help you in many ways - to reignite your mind and memory, to help your kids doing their homework, or to help you brush up on trivia for a pub quiz!!

So if you have forgotten what the capital of Mozambique is, which books were written by Charles Dickens, where oxygen comes in the periodic table, or which of Henry V’s wives were beheaded and which one survived, then this book is a certain for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment