Monday 18 April 2016

TV Review: Daredevil

I am loving the new revamped Netflix series of Marvel Comics.  I watched Jessica Jones which we brilliant and had a stellar performance from David Tennant.  He was excellent.

When I was finished with Jessica Jones I looked on Netflix to see what other Marvel TV series there on it and I found Daredevil – at the minute these two are the only Marvel shows available on Netflix UK but I think more are coming.

When I started watching Daredevil I did not know much about the character or the Daredevil storyline.  I have never watched the Ben Afleck Daredevil movie and have never read the comics. I did know Daredevil was a vigilante   - a hero who fights to overcome evil.

Now I have watched Seasons one and two and am looking forward to season three coming on as have enjoyed the series so far.

The first season sets the scene for Daredevil, introducing us to him in his civilian life as Matt Murdock – a blind lawyer.  We are taken back to Matt’s childhood and are shown how he got to be where is today.  We are shown his progress into becoming the devil of Hell’s Kitchen and being a crime fighter.

We are introduced to the other main characters of the show – Foggy Nelson who is Matt’s best friend and partner in the law firm and Karen Page who becomes the secretary for the law firm.  We are also introduced to Wilson Fisk who is the bad guy,

Nelson and Murdock, the law firm by Matt and Foggy is a start-up law firm and was set up by the two of them in order to work for and help people who are vulnerable and can’t afford expensive lawyers.  They end up representing clients who live in flats belonging to Wilson Fisk – and their main aim becomes to bring him down.

So by day Matt Murdock is fighting crime legally with his best friend and by night as ‘the devil of Hell’s Kitchen; he is fighting crime by himself with his fists.  You may wonder just how a blind guy fights. Well his other senses – hearing, smell etc. are heightened and enhanced so that helps – he listens for people’s heartbeats which tell him if they are close to them and exactly what they are feeling.

I don’t really want to go into much more details as I hate reading reviews which give away spoilers. The first season is interesting and is great for scene setting and showing us who the bad guys and the good guys are.

Season two is setting more scene and introduces more characters like Frank Castle aka The Punisher and Elektra too. It felt a bit like the producers were using this show to showcase other future Marvel Comic TV Series and their front runners as there are rumours of a series coming out around The Punisher.

Most people in Daredevil are good characters but there is one person who is very annoying and that is Karen Page, the secretary for Nelson and Murdock. To me Karen is very wet, very annoying and I really feel that there isn’t much need for her in the series. It feels all a bit unrealistic to me, especially when she leaves her job at the law firm and becomes an investigative journalist? How?

Also, why is she so interested in saving Frank Castle? And the relationship between her and Matt, what was going on there? Seriously Marvel/Netflix is she really necessary on this TV show.

There is one thing which confuses me and that is the reference to Black Sky – it is repeated again and again by Stick and the Chinese but no one really says what it is. I want it to be explained properly but I suppose that may be done in Season 3…. These show creators like to keep us waiting,


For a comic series, Daredevil is good but it does not have the same finesse or excitement about it as Jessica Jones did.  They both cross over a little bit and with the Punisher an Elektra being in Daredevil and Luke Cage in Jessica Jones I think there may be a series coming along with all the marvel characters in it – a bit like the Avengers Assemble movie. 

No comments:

Post a Comment