Saturday 20 September 2014

Splish Splash

At my last appointment with the Consultant in July, he told me how I should be doing exercise which would help with reducing fatigue and easing the muscles and he suggested either walking, swimming or cycling as these three are the best for people with MS.

I already go walking though have not done as much as I should have been in the past couple of weeks. I like cycling but have no bike and can't afford to buy one at the moment. 

I loved to swim when I was younger and was quite good at it, but when I hit my teenage years I became quite self conscious and didn't like swimming much - I had to go with school from ages 11-14 and would go with friends after school sometimes, but it was more like splashing about and diving then swimming. In my 20's I went to Aqua fit a few times at University. I think since then I have been in the pool once since I was 25..... so have not been swimming in 7 years.

I don't like swimming now because have got out of the way of it, and am still self conscious at the pool. But since it is the best form of exercise for people with MS and even for anyone, I decided I would bit the bullet. I put it off but then bought a swimming suit so since I had spent money on that I thought right I need to go.

So on the 28th August I set out to go swimming. The last time I was in Ballymena Pool was aged 12 when I went swimming with my cousins, but we spent most of time on the slides then. I was nervous going into the pool and more nervous because there were lots of children/teenagers there and they make me nervous - the teenagers especially.

But I was there so I needed to do it. I got into the pool and stood for a bit and then started swimming - well I only maneged half a length, and the whole 25 minutes I was in the pool I only managed to go 6 half lengths, which really is three lengths. I just did not have the stamina or energy to do more. But I was proud of myself for going. 

I was in agony that afternoon/evening and the next day - obviously my muscles were protesting at the exercise been taken. 

The next week I went on the Friday afternoon and it was quiet, only four others in the pool and I managed to swim 5 lengths - yeah was getting better.

I have not been swimming since that, but I have been in the pool as part of an Aqua Zumba class. Have attended for two weeks on  a Thursday night, and its good though tough on my legs and by half way through am ready for a lie down.... but am glad am going as its fun as well, lovely group of ladies and its exercise. 

Will go back into the pool for a proper swim soon. Am enjoying the new challenge. I am not a great swimmer and my style of swimming is quite splashy but practice makes perfect!!

No comments:

Post a Comment