Wednesday 1 September 2021

Literature: August 2021 Books


It is a new year, it's 2021, we are now out of lockdown, but I am still finding time to read.

As I managed 152 books in 2020, I thought would up the ante and go for 155 in 2021. Between January and July, I was able to read 104 books and now August has ended I am up to 111 as I read 7 books this month. This is a low number for me, not sure what happened to me! Now I have another 44 to read before reaching my target.

So what are the 7 books I read in August?

Crime

  • The House Guest by Mark Edwards
  • The Skylight by Louise Candlish

Fiction

  • The Wafflehouse on the Pier by Tilly Tennant
  • Love from A to Z by SK Ali

Christian

  • Faithful Leaders by Rico Tice

Short Stories

  • The Great Cornish Getaway by Fern Britton

Recommended Books

This month I recommend Love from A to Z by SK Ali. This book tells the story of Adam and Zayneb, two Muslim teenagers who meet each other while they are on Spring Break in Doha. They are both dealing with their own issues.

Adam is struggling with his new diagnosis of Multiple Sclerosis and how to break the news to his dad who is still dealing with the death of his wife who died after a battle with the same diseases.  Zayneb has been suspended from school due to speaking up to her teacher who won’t stop reminded the class how ‘bad’ Muslims are. She is struggling with this and the way that other people treat her when they see her hijab.

They both clock eye in the airport and then actually meet each other in arrival in Doha when it transpires Zayneb’s aunt works with Adam’s dad in the International School. They get to know each other and realise they have feelings for each other but it's not a smooth road for them both.

I loved this book and thought the writer described MS very well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment