Tuesday 16 May 2017

Christianity: The Government Rests on His Shoulders

Each day into my email inbox I get a daily devotional from Christine Caine, who is the founder of the A21 organisation against Human Trafficking. They are always very good and often speak to me.
Last week the following devotional arrived with me:

“I keep my eyes always on the LORD. With him at my right hand, I will not be shaken (Psalm 16:8).

Let’s stay focused on the truth today.
  • The government rests on Jesus’ shoulders (Isaiah 9:6).
  • All things are possible with God (Matthew 19:26).
  • He is able to do exceedingly, abundantly, above all that we can ask or think (Ephesians 3:20).
  • Eye has not seen, nor ear heard, and no human mind has conceived the things God has prepared for those who love Him (1 Corinthians 2:9).

When we follow Jesus with everything we are, we will always be at the top and never at the bottom (Deuteronomy 28:13)”

And immediately this spoke to me as God is always in control and his ways are the true ways. What especially resonated with me was “The government rests on Jesus’ shoulder” (Isaiah 9:6) because more recently the news of governments have been bad:

Trump was elected in America and to me, it didn’t seem like a good choice as he was always getting himself in trouble – but throughout it all, I have to cling to the truth that God is Sovereign and in everything he has his hand.

Brexit happened and now we are having a new election – I am confused about Brexit as I thought it was for the whole United Kingdom but Theresa May, in my opinion, is making it an English Brexit – what about Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland.  Again throughout it I have to cling to the truth that God is Sovereign and he has all nations’ interests at heart.

Northern Ireland’s government no longer exists because the two main parties DUP and Sinn Fein will not work with each other mainly because of distrust and specifically from Sinn Fein’s point of view as Arlene Foster has not been a very truthful politician (well if there are ever any truthful politicians)… but she has been seen doing backhand deals and she should have stood down when asked but she is stubborn and didn’t causing us to have an election.  And now coming into this election called by Theresa May most of us in Northern Ireland do not know who to vote for as our parliament is not working and no one seems to be doing any campaigning.  But again throughout it all, I have to cling to the truth that God is Sovereign and things will turn out alright in the end with Him in control – and it does say in Matthew 19 v 26 that ‘All things are possible with God”!!!!


So no matter what happens in the political world and the individual governments of each country we need to hold onto the fact that God is Sovereign, He is in control and the government rests on his shoulders meaning that the government of the entire world is in his hands. 

No comments:

Post a Comment