Tuesday 22 December 2015

Flash Fiction: The Death of Spencer

I didn’t mean to do it, it was a complete accident.  All I wanted to do was make sure his home was clean, but it all went wrong.

I felt bad, Spencer was my mate, and he swam around the bowl happily.  He always came to say hello when I came into the room, well, really he was looking for food.  He was a greedy fish, or did he just forget when he had last eaten.  His memory wasn’t so good!

It had been a couple of weeks and his water was dirty. I did not like leaving him in dirty water, was not good for him or kind to him.  His house needed a clean, his water needed changed.  I was tired, but was determined to be a good person and do this task for wee Spencer.  I couldn’t let him keep living in squalor.  Little did I know that this would be fatal for poor wee Spence.  Little did Spencer know that he would never get to swim again in the great big fishbowl that was his home.

It was a complete mistake.  A fatal mistake.  Spencer was taken out of his bowl, he was a hard catch but I managed to catch him.  I put him in a jug, but oops there was no water in said jug so I decided that needed rectified as he would die if he was not in water for a while. Ironic, when you think about it! 

I turn the tap on, Spencer is still in the jug. Spencer jumps.  More water. Spencer stops moving.  Oh crap that’s not cold water, that’s hot water. What have I done?  I turn the tap quickly from hot to cold. “Revive, Spencer, Revive” I shout at the poor wee lifeless fish. He jumps.  I put him back in his bowl full of lots of lovely cold water. He moves a bit more. Looks like he is swimming. Yeah, he’s not dead, I haven’t killed him.


But no, the swimming stops.  Crap.  I have killed him, basically I cooked him, committed fish slaughter to my poor wee innocent defenceless fish. I cried. I was upset. I miss my wee pet.  I miss my wee Spencer.  My heart still hurts. Wherever you are Spencer, swim well pet, swim well! 

1 comment: