Tuesday 25 August 2015

Flash Fiction: Confess or Die?

It’s 7.15pm – How much time do you have before you confess? What happens at 7.15pm?

I’ve done a terrible thing, committed a horrible crime and now am on the run.  What did I do what was so wrong? Well, I killed a man.  It wasn’t outright murder, it was a mixture of a crime of passion and a crime of hatred.  I killed someone who I loved so much but who I also hated because they were so difficult to live with.  They were the type of person who you couldn't live with but also couldn't live without.

It was a premeditated crime.  I planned the murder so perfectly and I planned it so that I would never be found out.  However, one thing I had not counted on was that I someone would witness me committing my perfect crime.

It was unfortunate that I had been seen, especially when I took so much care of not leaving any evidence which would lead the police to finding out it was me who was he killer.   But I had been seen, and now I was being blackmailed by the witness.  Being blackmailed into confessing to the crime.  I only had 2.5 hours to go now before I had to confess, otherwise I would be outed by my blackmailer.  This threat was made three days ago, and time was running out.

I had 2.5 hours to decide how I wanted my life to turn out.  Did I confess to my crime and spend a lifeline behind bars and possibly facing the death sentence.  Or did I just call the blackmailers bluff and not confess?   Come on, what evidence was there that I committed a murder? I left no evidence behind which would link me to this death.  The only think that linked me was this witness.  All that linked me to the crime was his word against mine. Was there not a way around this?

If I didn't confess, what would happen to me? Well, if the blackmailer’s threat worked then it would mean spending a lifetime on the run constantly looking over my shoulder waiting for my past to come up behind me and leave me dead.  It was a tough choice to be facing – do I choose to spend life in a box or life on the run? What would you choose?

However as I realized it wasn't that clear cut, there was a third option – link the crime to my blackmailer  - after all there was no evidence linking me.

It was now 7.15pm and I had my choice to make.  It wasn’t really a tough decision in the end – I didn’t want to be in a box or be on the run so I decided to blackmail the blackmailer and set him up for my crime, which once again was turning out to be the perfect murder and one I was going to get away with!!


It was now 7.15pm – the deadline to which I was meant to confess before or I would die.  I wasn't afraid of what would happen, as I knew I was innocent. So instead of receiving the threatened punishment of death from my blackmailer, I was once again walking free to a life of happiness.  I had murdered the one person who was making my life a misery and I had managed to get away with it!! It was the ideal ending, for me anyway!!  

No comments:

Post a Comment