Saturday 10 February 2018

Life & Faith: Thank you for Trusting Me

Mother Teresa once said ‘I know God will not give me anything I cannot handle. I just wish He didn’t trust me so much’

When I was diagnosed with MS in 2014 this phrase was quoted to me and I though huh, glad she was so wrong – but I wasn’t and it took me almost two years to get to terms with my diagnosis and really believe that God was on this journey with me.  I realised that me having MS was hard for me to handle on my own but with God by myside I could handle it and anything else.

Over the past four years I have heard this quote now more than once and have listened to people preaching and read books on this issue and how we should thank God for trusting us with the things He brings into our lives.

Four years ago I could not thank God for my MS but now I can and I do. Why? Well because if it wasn’t for my MS diagnosis I wouldn’t be where I am today:

  • I wouldn’t be in a good place with God
  • I wouldn’t be in a good place with myself
  • I wouldn’t be in a good place with my family and friends and I wouldn’t be thankful for them.


Over the past four years people have been praying for healing for me and although I may not be physically healed, I have been healed spiritually, emotionally and mentally. The important thing to remember with healing that there is more than one way a person can be healed.

And I have been helped in the past four years by people coming alongside me and praying for me as well as being supportive in other ways. Yes some people have walked away from me during the first two very difficult years but those who have stood by me are the ones whom I am very thankful for – they have been vessels of God.

They have helped me become stronger and believe in myself and helping me come close to God and bringing me to the place where I can now say, “God, I don’t wish MS on anyone else and at times I hate the symptoms I live with, well actually maybe all the time, but I thank you for trusting me with this illness and I pray that you will use my MS for your greater glory”


And I am also with Mother Teresa when she said “I wish He didn’t trust me so much” 

No comments:

Post a Comment