Wednesday 12 July 2017

Book Review: A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman


I read A Man Called Ove for the book club that I go to. When I first heard about the book I really wanted to read it as I thought it would be a funny book. I thought Ove sounded like an interesting funny character but he was the opposite – yes he is interesting but he is also a grumpy man living in a world of his own and not really able to deal with other people's company.  He is known as the ‘bitter neighbour from hell’ as he is always annoyed at people for doing things he thinks they shouldn’t be doing! But the question I put to you is, is Ove really bitter or is he just sad?

Ove’s wife recently died and since then Ove has been lost and alone, but then a family in the same streets as him decided to adopt him and try and change the ‘cranky old man’.  They always seem to turn up at his door at exactly the wrong time and ask Ove to do things for them, like drive them to the hospital because the husband has fallen off his ladder etc. – things that Ove ends up reluctantly doing as he feels it is what his wife would have wanted.

It is a story of sadness and a story of joy but it does have funny bits in it which does make you laugh. However, the best thing about this book for me is that you do get to love Ove and really want him to be happy and appreciate what is around him.


Another best bit for me is when the street cat becomes Ove’s friend and a funny but lovely relationship begins between the two of them.  Overall, the story is a very lovely heart-warming tale and I would recommend everyone to read it. 

1 comment: